Candidates those who want to become Navigating Officer or Deck Officer on Merchant Navy ships can do either Diploma in Nautical Science course or B.Sc in Nautical Science course. Diploma in Nautical Science course is a one year course where as BSc. in Nautical Science is a 3 year course. whichever course you do your destination will be same that is you will be posted as as Deck Cadet on Merchant Navy ship after completion of your course.
For the new candidates who want to join Merchant Navy it is very confusing to decide between Diploma in Nautical Science course and B.Sc. in Nautical Science course. In this article we compare both the courses so that fresh candidates can decide which course is better for them.
Difference between Diploma in Nautical Science and B.Sc. in Nautical Science.
Diploma in Nautical Science or BSc in Nautical Science which ever course you do, your career path is same. In the starting you will be posted as Deck Cadet on Merchant Navy ship.
But there are few differences between Diploma in Nautical Science and B.Sc. in Nautical Science and you must consider this before taking a decision.
1. Diploma in Nautical Science is a one year course whereas BSC in Nautical Science is a 3 years course.
2. Full name of Diploma in Nautical Science course is “Diploma in Nautical Science leading to BSc in Nautical Science course.” It means first you have to do diploma in nautical science course and after that during your posting as Deck Cadet on merchant navy ships you have to complete Distance learning program as well.
After completion of Distance learning program your Diploma in Nautical Science will become BSc in Nautical Science degree.
3. After Deck Cadet the next rank promotion is Third Officer. To become third officer, if candidate has done diploma in nautical science course then he should have minimum 18 months working experience on ship but if the candidate has done BSc in nautical science then he requires only 12 months experience.
4. There is not much difference in diploma in nautical science and BSc in nautical science. In diploma in nautical science you have to spend almost 6 to 7 lakh rupees where as for BSC in nautical science you have to spend 7 to 8 lakh rupees.
5. The advantage of diploma in nautical science course is that candidate has to spend only one year in the college and after that he is posted as Deck Cadet on ship and his salary starts. So he starts earning after one year only.
Whereas for or BSc in nautical science you have to study three years in the college and after that only you will be posted as Deck Cadet and your salary will start.
6. The biggest advantage of diploma in nautical science course is that in good colleges candidate can get job guarantee letter from good shipping company. So before starting his course his job is fixed in a good company. This is called sponsorship program.
But for BSC in nautical science course you do not get any company sponsorship. You can get a job during campus placement after completion of your course.
7. Diploma in nautical science course candidates have less theoretical knowledge and more practical knowledge.
Where as BSC nautical science course candidates are Much Better In theoretical knowledge which is very advantageous for future career.
8. If a candidate wants to do higher studies or wants to change his job profile after working for sometime in shipping industry then diploma in nautical science is not recognised by other streams and institutions.
Whereas BSc in nautical science is well recognised and candidate can do management courses, can apply for Administrative services and can go for higher studies also.
In short diploma in nautical science course has many advantages over BSc in nautical science course. you should choose BSc in nautical science course only if you are planning to leave shipping industry after doing some management course etc. Otherwise diploma in nautical science course is definitely better.
With the above article you can easily understand all three Courses and the differences. This will help you to choose correct course for yourself.
3 Reviews ( 6.3 out of 10 )
Well this question was eating me from a very long time, this article cleared all my doubts
Very good reviews it cleared all my doughts regarding too dns
Nice efforts 💯 definitely dns is better