- Deck / Navigation Department
- Engine Department
- Galley / Catering Department
Ranks & Posts in Merchant Navy big cargo ships
In Deck & Engine departments there are officers and non-officers both, whereas in Galley department there is only non-officer category.
Ranks in Deck Department Officers Category
- Chief Officer
- Second Officer
- Third Officer
- Deck Cadet
Ranks in Engine Department Officers Category
- Chief Engineer
- Second Engineer
- Third Engineer
- Electro Technical Officer ( ETO )
- Fourth Engineer
- Junior Engineer
Ranks in Deck Department Non officer ( CREW ) category
- Trainee Seaman
Ranks in Engine Department Non officer ( CREW ) category
Ranks in Galley Department Non officer ( CREW ) category
- Chief cook
- General Steward (GS)
Salaries in Merchant Navy Ships
Merchant navy salaries depend upon types of ships. For example, in Big cargo ships salary is higher than smaller ships. Also salary is higher on Oil tankers compared to Bulk carriers.
Following is the approximate average salary of different ranks in Merchant Navy ships.
- Captain / Chief Engineer – 6 Lakhs to 9 Lakhs Rs. Per month
- Chief Officer / Second Engineer – 4.5 Lakhs to 7 Lakhs Rs. Per month
- 2nd Officer / 3rd Engineer / ETO – 2 Lakhs to 3.5 Lakhs Rs. Per month
- 3rd officer / 4th Engineer – 1 Lakhs to 1.5 Lakhs Rs. Per month
- Deck Cadet / Junior Engineer – 30,000 to 50,000 Rs. Per month
- Fitter / Bosun / Chief cook – 60,000 to 1 lakh Rs. Per month
- AB / Oiler / GS – 40,000 to 70,000 Rs. Per month
- OS / Seaman / wiper – 25,000 to 40,00 Rs. Per month.
Here you must know that salary is paid only till the time you work on ship. Once you get down from ship and stay at home you don’t get any salary.
Also Read: How to join Merchant Navy