There are three Departments in Merchant navy
- Deck Department
- Engine Department
- Galley / Catering Department
If you want to join Deck department in Officers category, then you have to start your career as Deck Cadet. Deck cadet after experience & promotions become Captain of a ship over a long period of time.
Also Read: Career graph of deck Cadet in Merchant Navy
To Join as Deck cadet you have to do any ONE of the following Courses:
- Diploma in Nautical Science – 1 year course
- B.Sc. in Nautical Science – 3 years course
After completion of any of these courses, you will be posted as Deck Cadet on Merchant Navy ship.
To do these courses you should have one of the following Educational Qualifications:
- 12th Pass with Physics, Chemistry & Mathematics & minimum 60% marks in PCM.
- B.Sc. in Physics, chemistry or Mathematics with Physics as subject in at least one of the year. Average passing marks not less than 55%
- B.E. / B.Tech degree with minimum 50 % marks in final year.
- Age Maximum 25 years.
To take admission in these courses you MUST choose institute very carefully. The Institute should be approved by Director General of Shipping of India & should have a good job placement record. There are many Fake institutes which you must avoid.
Once you meet above Educational Criteria, then you have to give two exams in order to take admission in Institutes.
- Indian Maritime University Common Entrance Test (IMU-CET) – This exam is compulsory to take admission in any of the Director General of Shipping of India approved Institutes. This exam is conducted by Indian Maritime University. If you are successful in IMU-CET, then you can take admission in the Institutes conducting above courses.
Also Read: What is IMU-CET and how to prepare for it?
- Companies Sponsorship Exams – This exam is not compulsory. But it is advisable to give this exam so that your job is confirmed before doing the course. Getting a job after completion of course is almost impossible. Therefore you have to appear for different companies’ sponsorship exam.
Both IMU-CET exam & Companies sponsorship exams are not very tough but you need to do targeted preparation so that you get higher rank. Higher rank will help you in getting good institute and a good multinational company.
For any Merchant Navy related queries whatsapp Marine Republic at 9875305872