If you want to become a Deck officer and later a Captain of Merchant Navy ship, then you have to start your career as Deck cadet in Deck department. In this article we will explain you how your career graph will rise and what will be your salary as different ranks.
Let us see what are different ranks in Deck Department in officers category.
- Captain – Top Rank officer
- Chief officer
- Second Officer
- Third Officer
- Deck Cadet – Junior Most officer
Salaries in Merchant navy depend upon types of ship you are working. For example if you are working on Oil Tankers then your salaries will be higher than somebody working on Container ships in the same rank.
Here is an approximate idea of rank wise salaries:
- Captain – 6.5 Lakh to 9 Lakh Rs. Per month
- Chief Officer – 5.5 Lakh to 7 Lakh Rs. Per month
- Second Officer – 2 Lakh to 3.5 Lakh Rs. Per month
- Third Officer – 1 Lakh to 2 lakh Rs. Per month
- Deck Cadet – 20 thousand to 50 thousand Rs. Per month
To become a Deck officer, you have to join as Deck cadet. Then after some experience and promotion you can move up to another senior rank.
Also Read: How to join Merchant navy as Deck Cadet?
- Deck cadet to Third Officer – After joining as Deck cadet you have to work for 12 to 18 months on ship as Deck cadet. After completing this time you have to pass SECOND MATE exam conducted by Government of India. After clearing this exam ONLY you can become Third Officer on Merchant Navy ships.
- Third Officer to Second Officer – From Third Officer Rank to be promoted to Second Officer rank you don’t have to give any exam. You can be promoted by your company depending upon your performance and experience. Generally companies promote you after 12 to 18 months work experience.
- Second Officer to Chief Officer – To become Chief Officer of Merchant Navy ship, you have to clear CHIEF MATE Exam conducted by Government of India. To appear for this exam you should have minimum 18 Months Experience as Second officer or Third Officer. After clearing Chief Mate exam ONLY you can be promoted to Chief Officer Rank. Promotion depends upon your experience and performance. But without clearing Chief Mate exam you cannot be promoted.
- Chief Officer to Captain – Captain is the Top most rank on Merchant navy ships. Ship sails under his command.
To become Captain of Merchant navy ship you MUST clear MASTER Exam conducted by Government of India. You can appear for this exam after having 18 months experience as Chief Officer. Once you clear Master exam, you can be promoted to Captain Rank by your company.
Captain is the highest Rank in Merchant navy. It takes almost 10 years for a Deck Cadet to become Captain. After that you can continue at this rank till your retirement or you can choose to join any office job. These office jobs are very easily available for Captains in Multinational companies worldwide.
Also Read: Deck Department vs Engine Department. Which one is better to join in Merchant Navy as officer?